SRT Open Source Protocol is Turning Two!Lina Nikols
The Secure Reliable Transport (SRT) open source protocol is celebrating its two year anniversary! It’s hard to believe that it was just two years ago at the NAB Show in 2017 when Haivision announced both the open source availability of SRT, a video transport protocol to enable the delivery of high-quality and secure, low-latency video across the public Internet, along with the launch of the SRT Alliance.
Fast forward two years and adoption of the SRT protocol and membership of the Alliance has continued to grow from strength to strength (now at 200 members and counting) with industry giants like Avid, Brightcove, Deluxe, Global, Imagine, LTN, MediaKind, Microsoft, Net Insight, Red Bee and Telestream endorsing the protocol.
Today, the SRT protocol is used by thousands of organizations globally in a wide range of industry applications, from IP cameras, encoders and decoders to gateways, OTT platforms and CDNs. In the past year, SRT has also been adopted by leading industry open source technologies including VLC by VideoLAN, GStreamer, Wireshark, FFmpeg, Libav and most recently, OBS Studio.
Thanks to the support of its members along with end user and open source community adoption, SRT is well on its way to becoming the de facto standard for low latency, secure, reliable streaming over the internet.
We’d like to thank the SRT Alliance members for their invaluable support and contribution, and for helping us to increase industry-wide awareness and adoption of SRT. Collaboration at it’s finest!
SRT by the Numbers
To celebrate this milestone, here are some fun SRT by the numbers facts!
- 3 hours – the time it took from the SRT open source announcement to the first partner running a functional version of the protocol
- 6 years in development
- Over 15,000 lines of code and 8,000 hours of development
- More than 200 members of the SRT Alliance representing 28 countries
- 100% royalty-free
- SRT on Github: 461 code commits, 106 followers, 172 code forks and 38 contributors
- 7 industries represented: Broadcast, CDN, OVP, Streaming Services, Streaming Software, System Integrator, Video Systems
- 60+ SRT Alliance members exhibiting and 40+ companies speaking about SRT at NAB Show 2019
- 100,000s of hours video streamed
- 20ms – lowest latency
Want to learn more about real-world applications of SRT and get a preview of the technical roadmap for the SRT protocol? Register to attend the SRT Technical Panel at the NAB Show on Monday, April 8th.